Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Jacob's First Week

It has already been one week since Jacob entered our lives, and there have been many ups and downs along the way. This is kind of a long, detailed post, but I am going stir crazy here and needed something to keep myself busy in the middle of the night when I'm holding or feeding him. After this I will mostly do monthly updates that are more general. Here is an update on his first week:


The beginning of the week was probably the hardest for Jacob. He was fussy constantly and always wanted to be fed. He also would not stay asleep very long, especially when put into a crib or bassinet. Although I had moments of frustration throughout the week, these first few days were very emotional and made me feel like I wasn't doing a good job even though I knew that wasn't true.


Sunday night things started to turn around a little bit. Instead of constantly feeding at irregular intervals Jacob started feeding about every 2 hours. When he got done he was actually satisfied, so he could be held without fussing until the next feeding. On Monday Josh and I took him for his first doctor's visit, and he had gained an ounce. The doctor said that Jacob looked great and that there was nothing we needed to be concerned about health-wise. That night he was also able to sleep in the bassinet for about 30 minutes before he got fussy. This allowed me to get a little sleep, so I counted it as a success.


Tuesday was kind of an up and down day. Jacob was still going about 2 hours between feedings except for one cluster of small feedings around 10 AM. He also started spitting up during some of his feedings, so Josh and I kept having to suction his mouth out and wipe off his face.At night I tried swaddling him and putting him in the bassinet, but he only slept in there long enough for me to go to the bathroom. The one good outcome was that I was able to soothe him back to sleep by rocking or patting his back instead of feeding him. I knew he wasn't hungry based on when he had last eaten, and he only cried for a few minutes before falling back asleep in my arms.

Wednesday was Josh's last day at home with us. Jacob did a great job feeding, and he even lasted 4 hours between some of his afternoon/evening feedings. We did decide to purchase some formula so that Josh could feed him a bottle while I got a longer nap that night. We will only use the formula until I can pump enough to have a supply of bottles handy for when we're away from the baby or so Josh can feed him while I get extra sleep. Josh said he took the bottle right away. That night I once again tried to get Jacob into the bassinet or crib for some of the night, but it was still not working. After a few minutes he would start fussing and need to be rocked back to sleep. I did well with soothing him, though, and only feeding him at normal feeding times.

We finished Jacob's first week at home with me being on my own for the first time with him. In the morning Jacob had his newborn pictures taken. The photographer got some super cute pictures, and he cooperated for most of them after I fed him and got him to fall asleep. She also brought a space heater to keep him warm during the photo shoot and suggested I try using one to heat up his crib at night. She said this worked for her son, so I had my mom pick up one up at Walmart to try that night. I also put one of his soft, fuzzy blankets on the bottom of the crib to see if that texture was more appealing to him. Jacob slept for two 30 minutes stretches in the crib before fussing and needing to be held or fed. Jacob also lost his umbilical cord stump in the middle of the night. I went to change his diaper and noticed it had fallen off into the side of the diaper. So now he has his cute little bare belly button!


As you can see it's been a rough week for me with trying to get him to sleep on his own instead of in someone's arms, but he is definitely worth it. The times when he is alert and calm are so special, and I love when he's cuddled up and sleeping in my arms (althought not so much in the middle of the night). I am really thankful for all the help I've had, especially when I've been running on little sleep and needed a nap while someone else fed or held him. I guess right now I am glad that he sleeps at all at night, and I will just keep working on getting him to be more independent with this. Hopefully by the end of the month I will be able to get him to sleep for an hour or more at a time on his own. Until then I will just have to adapt to this night owl lifestyle.

Happy Birthday Jacob!



1 Week Old!

No comments:

Post a Comment